Monday, October 29, 2007

On or off the grid ?

We are trying to decide which is better. This cabin will never (well, not by us anyway), be a primary residence. We will stay in it on weekends and for a week at a time during haying season. That is why it will be small. It will be 20ft x 30 ft. Getting electrical run will cost about $5000 but going off the grid would be about the same. But then you have to get propane fridge and stove etc, or pay electricity bills. And would I have to double wire the house? I'm the one doing the electrical and plumbing and stuff like that, and since we are going to be hiding the wires inside the logs I would prefer not to have to re wire at a later date. Questions, questions. Plus I have to figure out how to make a spiral staircase. I haven't been able to find plans anywhere. Yes, I can find manufacturers of them but I want to make my own. Both because it would be fun and to save money. I'm big on saving money. It must be the Scott in me. I want cheap but not cheap if you know what I mean.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Did you try looking here?
"www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/Links/project_plans.htm"

It says they have over 500 plans for free...

Log house girl said...

Thanks. I will spend some time this weekend looking at them.