Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A lot got done

We got a lot done on the weekend. I cut down a tree. All by myself. It was kind of neat. Me , with my 45cc chain saw, with my father in law giving me instructions. The one I liked bet was "When the tree is about to go, move the other way. Forget about the chainsaw." Righty-oh. No way did I want to be squished by a tree. The second tree I cut down got stuck in a birch tree on the way down. We are going to pull it down with the horse because we don't want to cut down more trees than we have to. Towards this end, we have changed our plans and are going to make the logs 5x5 instead of 6x6. That way we can use more of the tree. Still want to figure out how to do the dove tail thing at the end of the logs so they sort of lock together. If anyone out there knows, please let me know.
I also limbed a bunch of trees. The Monday I was sooo sore. Who would have thought I never use the muscles in my forarm. The kids were all excited to watch me cut down a tree and they all yelled "TIMBER" when it fell. Don't worry they were far enough away that even if I had screwed up they wouldn't have been hit.
Once December starts my busy time will be over and I will be able to spend more weekends up on the farm working on the house/cabin.

1 comment:

Deer Tracks & Trails said...

Just a note to let you know that I responded to your question on my blog :-)