Sunday, January 27, 2008

I think that I shall never see....

...a poem as lovely as a tree. Or more precisely, a pile of of logs. We are up to 123 logs approximately. We are guestimating cause some are buried under the snow. We are getting close to the total we need. We are looking to cut about 230 trees so that we have enough for wastage. But it won't really be waste because we will be heating with wood and we will sell any leftover full length logs to the local mill.
Luckily we have had a thaw so more felling is being done. This time my FIL and I were using the tractor to get some trees on the edge of the fields. We don't want to make them fall onto the field because of the mess the limbs would make. What we do is we drive the tractor close to the tree and rest the bucket about 7 feet up the tree. We then notch the tree and push it over with the tractor, into the woods. We did about 4 trees before I tripped and cut my knee quite badly on something in the snow. We think it might have been some hidden barbed wire. We don't use it but they used to about 50 yrs ago and we are still coming across it. Luckily my chainsaw was off and away from me or who knows what would have happened. This was on top of me running into a rope strung between 2 fence posts while on the snowmobile. Luckily I was going slowly, and it caught me across the forehead, but I have a lovely black eye. I'll post a picture once my husband shows me how. I may be able to work in the bush but the computer still confuses me. Next weekend more trees will be cut, and we will check the gully to see it the ground is frozen enough yet to pull out some trees. Hopefully it will get colder, as it is only -15 degrees Celsius.
After all my accidents I forgot to take pics of the pile of logs we have, and me in my bush working gear. Very feminine.

Janet

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Had to visit your blog too after your kind comment on mine. I love reading these too! I have your site bookmarked and am looking forward to seeing your pics and hear how the process goes. You might inspire us to build a guest cabin on our own!